Large Round Planters vs. In-Ground Gardening: Which One Suits Your Home Better
Posted by Jason Wyrwicz on Apr 23rd 2023
Are you looking to add some greenery to your home but can't decide between large round planters and in-ground gardening?
It can be a difficult decision, especially if you have a large enough home to accommodate in-ground gardening.
Both solutions have benefits and drawbacks, so it's critical to carefully consider each before choosing one.
In this piece, we'll look at each option's benefits and drawbacks to help you decide which is ideal for your home.
Benefits of Large Round Planters
Large round planters are a popular option for those who want to add some greenery to their home without committing to in-ground gardening. Here are some benefits of using large planters:
- Flexibility - You can move your plants around as needed, whether it's to accommodate changing sunlight or to rearrange your outdoor living space.
- Space-saving - Large planters take up less space than a traditional garden and can be placed in small areas, such as balconies or patios.
- Pest control - Planters can be elevated, making it harder for pests to reach your plants. Plus, you can easily spot and remove any pests that do manage to find their way in.
- Aesthetically pleasing - Large planters can add a stylish touch to your outdoor decor, especially if you choose the right materials and colors to complement your home.
Benefits of In-Ground Gardening
In-ground gardening is a traditional method of growing plants, but it's still a popular choice for many homeowners. Here are some benefits of in-ground gardening:
- More plant options - With in-ground gardening, you can grow a wider variety of plants than you could in large planters, such as vegetables or plants with deep roots.
- Lower maintenance - In-ground gardening requires less maintenance than large planters since you don't have to worry about watering as frequently.
- Cost-effectiveness - Since you don't need to buy soil or containers and your plants can grow bigger and produce more, in-ground gardening may end up being less expensive in the long run.
- Sustainable - In-ground gardening can be a more sustainable option since it allows you to use natural soil and encourages the growth of beneficial microorganisms.
Factors to Consider
When deciding between large planters and in-ground gardening, it's important to consider the following factors:
1. How Do You Want to Arrange Your Space?
When considering whether to opt for in-ground gardening or large planters, one crucial factor to consider is the available space in your outdoor living area.
Large round planters are an efficient way to add some greenery to your space without taking up a great deal of room especially if you have a smaller outdoor living area.
On the other hand, in-ground gardening can be more suitable if you have a larger outdoor living space. Vegetables, flowers, and other plants can be grown in plenty in in-ground gardens since they can cover a considerably wider area.
Additionally, in-ground gardening can be more practical for those looking to grow larger plants or trees that require more space and nutrients.
However, even if you have a large outdoor living space, outdoor planters can still be a practical and visually appealing addition. Using outdoor planters to create a border or focal point in your garden can help to break up the space, add some visual interest, and create a cohesive design.
For example, if you have a large front lawn, you could use large planters to create a pathway leading up to your front door or use them to frame a garden bed.
In a backyard setting, outdoor planters can be used to create an outdoor seating area, adding an extra layer of comfort and style to your space.
2. Is Mobility Important to You?
Mobility is another factor to consider when deciding between outdoor planters and in-ground gardening. Large round planters are perfect for those who need the flexibility to move their plants around. This is especially important for those who live in areas with extreme weather conditions, such as excessive sun or heavy rain, as they can move their plants to different locations to better suit their needs.
In addition, mobility is important for those who have outdoor events or gatherings in their homes. Large round planters can be easily moved to create more space or to provide a more aesthetically pleasing environment for their guests.
3. How Much Maintenance Do You Want to Perform?
Maintenance is another crucial factor to consider when deciding between in-ground gardening and outdoor planters.
For those who are busy and don't have much time to spend maintaining their plants, large round planters may be the better option. They demand less time and effort to maintain and are simpler to take care of.
Furthermore, they can last for years with no maintenance if they are made of sturdy materials like metal or fiberglass.
In contrast, in-ground gardening can be more time-consuming, especially if the garden is large and requires regular upkeep like watering and weeding.
For those who enjoy spending time in the garden and don't mind the maintenance, in-ground gardening can be a satisfying hobby.
However, for those who don't have the time or energy to dedicate to maintaining a garden, large planters may be a better fit.
Making a Decision
Ultimately, the decision between large planters and in-ground gardening comes down to your personal preferences and needs. Consider the factors above and weigh the pros and cons of each option to determine which one suits your home better.
If you're still unsure or need more guidance, we at Pots Planters & More offer a wide selection of large round planters and can provide expert advice on which option is best for you. Happy gardening!